Preparation and Maintenance
Sunless Spray Tan Preparations:
1. Exfoliate skin before getting sprayed-this promotes even coverage and lengthens the duration of your tan
2. Shave or wax at least 8 hours before appointment
3. Avoid wearing makeup or moisturizer-this can act as a barrier to the spray & prevent the process from working properly
4. Wear dark, loose fitting clothing to your appointment
Maintaining Your Spray Tan:
1. Wait at least 8-12 hours before showering after a Fantasy Tan airbrush or 4-6 hours before showering after a Mystic spray tan
2. Apply moisturizer the morning and evening after your post-tan shower
3. Avoid long, hot, showers or baths and scrubbing the skin excessively- pat skin dry after bathing or showering
4. Chlorine in swimming pools or hot tubs can remove or shorten the longevity of your tan
5. Take care when exercising- friction or excess sweat may cause your tan to fade prematurely or unevenly
How To Prepare For A Spray Tan
Use a loofah or washcloth to gently exfoliate your entire body 2 to 24 hours before your scheduled appointment. Pay special attention to the dry areas such as the elbows and ankles. Proper exfoliation promotes an even coverage and lengthens the duration of your tan by removing dead skin cells. Do not injure the skin by overdoing it.
Remove Unwanted Hair:
Shave (8-12 hours before) or wax (24 hours before) to remove unwanted body hair. Always use a sharp, clean razor with gentle lubricating product (such as hair conditioner.)
Avoid wearing make-up, perfume, lotion, or deodorant to your appointment. All of these items may prevent the tanning solution from developing properly. Avoid Sunless tanning lotion and sprays for at least 7 days prior to your spray tanning appointment. Remove all jewelry.
Wear Proper Clothing:
Wear dark, lose fitting clothing as the solution contains an instant bronzer that may rub off. Although it should wash out of most fabrics, it may stain nylon, lycra, and silk.
How to Maintain A Spray Tan
Allow 8 to 12 hours for your tan to completely develop before bathing. during this time avoid contact with water and refrain from strenuous exercise.
During your first shower you may notice brown colored water going down the drain. Don’t be alarmed! This is normal. It is only the topical cosmetic bronzer washing off the surface of your skin; your real tan is underneath. Dry yourself by gently patting a towel over your skin, avoiding extensive rubbing which ma cause streaking or color removal.
A spray tan fades as the top layer of skin naturally exfoliates and in (replacing dead skin cells with new ones). To help prevent premature exfoliation, be sure to apply a sunless tan compatible moisturizer twice per day. Avoid excessive use of self tanning lotions as these can contribute to undesirable tones, streaks, and dryness.